Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Diary of a Tortilla Queen

I grew up with a Mexican family. My mother and I, both Caucasian. Yes, I was the little girl that looked like a little Q'tip head in all the family photos. It is not my intention to offend anyone who believes that every Mexican should be called Hispanic, by the way. Our family is Mexican and very proud of it. Purely out of coincidence, I am married to someone whose mother is Caucasian and his father was a migrant laborer from, you guessed it, Mexico. The history is really not that important, it just sets the tone perhaps for what I'd like to say.

When I was a young girl, my babysitter, Mrs. Apadaca made the most delicious tortillas, everyday. I would watch her put such love and care into making the dough, rolling the dough, cooking the dough. Oh that smell!!! Until, suddenly the most beautiful and delicious tortillas would be ready for her family and yes me to eat. I always marveled at how kind and loving she was to her family and to me, for this simple act. It was bread.

But really if you think about it bread is the food of life. It is so in the bible and everywhere else on earth. At least if you're not carb free. I have often given thought to all the women who have done exactly that same thing for their families and communities so that they would not go hungry. The amount of love and kindness in every step.

My daughter is a bean burrito freak. She doesn't want anything but beans and tortilla. I spend allot of money on tortillas. It occurred to me the other day, that it might be fun to make tortillas. I found a mix, (cheating I know) and we made tortillas. I couldn't make them fast enough for my family and even our dog. Oh my goodness!!! So apparently, I've added a duty to my life. Because they don't want the store bought kind anymore. It's o.k. though because it reminds me of all the women in the world who take such great care of their families, out of love. In addition to their fine contributions to the world in their many other endeavors, to make it such a rich place to live.

SIMPLE THOUGHT:

It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so entwined that we cannot think of one without the other. ~~M.F.K. Fisher~~

1 comment:

The Pastoral Princess said...

You are one of the finest contributions to this life that I can imagine! I love you!

I am adding you to my blogroll, you can expect traffic rolling through soon :0)~